Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with recipes that will not give you a guilty-feeling afterward. Create a fiesta to remember with these three healthy Mexican dishes!
Appetizer: Summer Peach Salsa
Serve your hungry guests with an appetizer that is both sweet and tangy! Peaches are a good source of potassium and they are rich in vitamins K, E, A and C. Tomatoes make great cancer-fighting agents and they are loaded with vitamins C, K and B6. Combine these two ingredients and you will be left with a dish that is low in calories and high in health benefits.
Summer Peach Salsa Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups (about 4 small) firm ripe peaches (diced)
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes (diced)
- 1 fresh jalapeño (finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
How to Make It:
- Prepare up to 2 hours ahead and refrigerate.
- Combine peaches, tomatoes, jalapeño, basil, onion, lime juice, brown sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
Entree: Carne Asada Tacos
Most tacos are filled with high-fat contents that are not ideal for a healthy diet. However, this taco recipe is tasty, easy to make and healthy! Plus, they are made with fresh corn tortillas that are not fried. What more can you ask for?
Carne Asada Tacos Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 3/4 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds flank or skirt steak (trimmed and cut into 3 equal portions)
- 1 pound tomatoes (chopped)
- 2-4 fresh jalapeño peppers or serrano chiles (seeded and finely diced)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 ripe but slightly firm avocado (diced)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 16 5- to 6-inch corn or whole-wheat flour tortillas (warmed)
- 1/3 cup crumbled Cotija cheese or other shredded cheese
How to Make It:
- Whisk vinegar, chili powder, oil, 2 teaspoons salt and garlic powder in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Add steak and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Make salsa about 20 minutes (and up to 2 hours) before cooking the meat: Gently combine tomatoes, jalapeños (or chiles) to taste, onion, cilantro, avocado, lime juice and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Place the steak on a rimmed baking sheet (discard the marinade). Broil 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice against the grain. Serve the steak wrapped in warm tortillas and topped with the salsa and cheese.
SEE ALSO: Easy Super Smoothie Recipes!
Dessert: Avocado Ice Cream
Avocados are incredibly nutritious, making them a healthy dessert option to end your Cinco de Mayo celebration. Avocadoes are a good source of fiber, potassium and healthy fats. Satisfy your sweet tooth with this avocado ice cream recipe.
Avocado Ice Cream Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups (about 3) ripe, large avocados (puree)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup tequila
- Lime zest for garnish
How to Make It:
- To make avocado puree, peel and pit 3 ripe large avocados and process in a food processor until smooth.
- After making avocado puree, add water, sugar, lime juice and tequila to the food processor with 1 1/2 cups of the puree; pulse until well combined. Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour or overnight.
- Transfer the avocado mixture to the canister of an ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. If desired, place the ice cream in the freezer to firm up before serving. Garnish with lime zest, if desired.
Happy Cinco de Mayo From GrindReliefN!
It can be difficult to celebrate any holiday with a migraine or sore jaws from teeth grinding. Put an end to this problem and start the party with GrindReliefN! Order yours today online or by contacting us at 877-401-1224.